Wednesday, June 10, 2009

We've Done It Again, We're Number One ...

Vancouver has managed to do it again. The Economist Magazine has voted Vancouver the number one most liveable city in the world. I'm sure by now you are getting tired of listening to me shamelessly bragging posting about this. Well, I certainly can't take any credit for Vancouver being the number one city, so I'm not really bragging, am I? Well, maybe I am -- just a little bit. This picture is a view of the city, taken from Spanish Banks, which at this time of the year is really the most wonderful place in the Lower Mainland. We used to live not far from this beach, and my daughter and I used to go for walks along there on summer evenings. The tide goes out literally for miles, almost to the freighters docked in the harbor.

CANADIAN and Australian cities account for six of the top ten spots in the Economist Intelligence Unit's latest liveability ranking (see full report). All of the cities in the top ten scored well over 80.0, the threshold below which difficulties are apparent in day-to-day living. Vancouver is still the world’s most liveable city, with a rating of 98.0; Sydney and Zurich, sharing ninth place, achieved a score less than 2% lower than Vancouver’s. The worst-performing locations are in Africa or Asia, where civil instability and poor infrastructure present significant challenges. The unfolding political and economic crisis in Zimbabwe makes Harare the least desirable city in the survey. Locations within Afghanistan and Iraq are not included.

The Economist Intelligence Unit’s liveability rating quantifies the challenges that might be presented to an individual's lifestyle in 140 cities worldwide. Each city is assigned a score for over 30 qualitative and quantitative factors across five broad categories: stability, health care, culture and environment, education, and infrastructure. The categories are compiled and weighted to provide an overall rating of 1–100, where 1 is considered intolerable and 100 is considered ideal.


I have emphasized health care, because there has been considerable debate lately as to whether Canada's health care system is any good. I think it is excellent, but not nearly as good as France's, which is definitely the best in the world. The World Health Organization has compiled lists of the ranking of health care and longevity in every country. Canada was listed as 30th in health care (France was 1st and the US was 37th), and in longevity, Canada was 12th (Japan was 1st and the US was 24th).

But there are so many more things that go into making up a wonderful, liveable city like Vancouver -- apart from the sheer beauty of the place. The longer I live here, the more I am gobsmacked by the gorgeous areas all over the Lower Mainland, that I have always taken for granted. I sure hope you have the chance to visit one day. You will love it.

And now I have a question for you: Is it livable or liveable? Enquiring minds want to know.

29 comments:

Divyendu said...

Good...will have to visit this place someday :-)

ivan said...

O bosh.

Everybody knows that Simpson's Gravel Pit, in Ontario is the only place live.
What do you call a guy with a hole in his head? Doug.
What do you call a Simpson's Gravel pit guy without a hole in his head? Douglas.
The moon in June...Stll full.
They are coming to take me away, away.

Patsy said...

I am sure that it is lovely there, Jo.
~Lorna

lovelyprism said...

I would love to visit there someday. I think it's livable but it looks wrong either way, doesn't it?

roxanne s. sukhan said...

Yes it is lovely here. But ... Number One? I'm doubting that those living at hastings and main would agree ... also those who regularly depend on translink would likely dispute this too. It's unfortunately becoming no-so-number one, as we become more and more imprisoned by the olympics.

I lived near kits beach, and its lovely there, too. I have a friend with an apt overlooking english bay and its gorgeous. But ... i resent the way that officials here are trying desperately to shove the homeless and drug problems under the rug and out of site in preparation for the olympics. Its really pathetic.

CS said...

Go Canada and Australia!

(But really Sydney is MUCH superior to Melbourne.)

Liveable, IMO ... but I never argue with the Economist.

Cheers from wonderful Sydney and good on you, Vancouver.

the walking man said...

That's it you've convinced me JO. I am paying for an advertisement to let all of the people leaving Detroit know that VC is the place to be.

It may improve our ranking on the list and also give another city a chance at Number One.

(just kidding I wouldn't do that to anywhere...well Dallas maybe)

Canarybird said...

I always loved living in Vancouver and used to go to Spanish Banks and Kits beach with my little girls. But we always looked forward to trips to Stanley park, because they had pony rides, the aquarium and a miniature train for them to ride.

My Concise Oxford says that both are okay: livable is a variant spelling of liveable. :-) Have a good weekend Jo! Sharon.

Alissa Grosso said...

I've never been a city person myself, but Vancouver does sound like a city that one could live very comfortably in. I will have to visit someday.

(According to the spellchecker on this site livable is the correct spelling, and spellchecker is not a real word.)

PhilipH said...

Liveable/livable: both correct and acceptable.

I'd certainly love to sample the delights of Vancouver. Sadly, for me, 'tis a wee bit too distant.

Went for a stroll around my ex-boss's grounds yesterday. Mellerstain House is the home of the 13th Earl of Haddington and his lovely family. Had a nice chat with them whilst wandering thru their gardens.

Situated in the glorious Scottish Borders it's a lovely Robert Adam mansion. I've lived in one of Lord H's cottages for longer than I've stayed anywhere else in my life thus far. Superb area. www.mellerstain.com is worth a look.

Judi said...

Congratulations! The U.S. could learn so much from our northern neighbors.

DUTA said...

Congratulations. It gives one a very sweet feeling of pride to live in a place acclaimed by the whole world.

The Bug said...

I think I might have to put Vancouver on the list of places I need to see - I'll bet I can convince my hubby that we should go...

Deb said...

Interesting post, Jo. And reminisce of our email conversation. France, #1? Did not know that.

I've always wanted to go to Vancouver to experience the beauty, culture and food. Food? What types of food is Cananda known for besides beef?

sorry, my brain is just skipping all over today. I have adult ADA this morning!!!

Anonymous said...

With the amount of rain we've been getting around here, I'll be living on lake front property soon. :-( I don't think I can take another gloomy cold day this month.

--Mary Ellen

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

I think it is "liveable" and yes, I am sick of hearing you blog and boast about how wonderful it is to live in Vancouver. But mostly, i am sick that I am not there to boast of it to others! :)

Essie said...

Hmmmm. Any software engineer jobs up there for hubby? We are definitely coming for a visit this summer.

Swetha said...

i think its livable.....

i think Sydney is gr8 place!!

i love Canada and Aus!! i wish to visit that place once

Paula Slade said...

Congratulations Jo! You live in a gorgeous city!! "Livable or liveable - one is just a variant - either is correct although some dictionaries do not have it as an entry and certain spell-checking programs will pick it up as an error. :-p

Carl said...

Jo,

I have spent time in Hartland NB,PEI and Nova Scotia and found them wonderful. I'll have to try something on the west coast soon. Vancouver sounds great!

Carl

Ruth W. said...

but will you let us Southerners in? I love Vancouver and do wish I lived there.

Deedee said...

I'd write it without the E. Canada ROCKS! I want to move to Canada.

Roll said...

woho go Australia : ) I love Perth, I love Sydney and Melbourne too. But.. I would have thought Cost of Living would be a critical category for an economist to rate cities with... the cost of living in cities in Australia is said to be much higher than rural towns. I live in a semi rural area so I love my big back yard and cheaper groceries etc. Not sure if I could ever live in ANY city.. despite all their good points ..

: D

the walking man said...

BTW it is livable

nomore said...

Congratulations...you are so lucky so live in the beautiful city...

Brenda said...

Livable...I think, but both are fine. My husband went to Vancouver on business and said it was the most beautiful place he has ever been. I am so sad that I have never been there. It is on my 'things to do list" though.

Lidia said...

I'd love to see vancouver...I'm not surprised that Australian cities are up there...Sydney is gorgeous. Often people remark that canadians and aussies are similar to in that they are down to earth. Perhaps the great living conditions have something do with our attitudes - one can be more relaxed when day to day life is smooth

Susan English Mason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nose_in_a_book said...

You have convinced me that Vancouver should go on my places to visit list. It's a pretty long list.

I'm a little sad to discover that The Economist is charging $200 for the full version of that report. I'd have been really interested to look up some of the places that I have lived.