Monday, January 2, 2012

The Best Thing Since ... Sliced Bread ... and Toilet Tissue

Well, it's official, I have become a *women of a certain age*, you know the ones ... we all see them trekking back from the grocery store with their little carts.  I have one now too, and I absolutely love it.  Isn't it wonderful?  Why on earth didn't I think of this sooner?  It was given to me as a Christmas gift, and it's the best thing since ... well ... sliced bread ~~ which I will now be able to buy and cart home.  I don't own a car, so I walk everywhere, and struggling home with armloads of groceries is not always the easiest thing to do.  I can also use my cart to transport my watercolour paper, paints and brushes to my little art classes that I have signed up for in February.  And now, when toilet tissue is on special, I can buy the large rolls instead of the small ones.  How great is that!  There's even a little pocket where I can put my wallet, lipstick and compact, and I don't have to carry a purse.  My New Year's resolution this year ~~ yes I know, we all make them and we all break them ~~ is to do more walking.  And now I can take my little cart with me and bring home all my purchases.

If you should happen to see a little old lady trekking along, a plastic hat on her head, plastic booties, her glasses on a string around her neck, and pulling a little cart behind her, please stop and say hello.

24 comments:

joanne said...

you gave me a great laugh tonight. I have just gotten one of these little carts too...my first thought was "old lady." Ah well, I certainly will be in good company!

Cloudia said...

I must be one also - this excites me, Jo-


Happiest New Year wishes
with Warm Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

Katy said...

I have one of those! I use it for everything for groceries to laundry. Now, if I didn't have to drag it up the stairs life would be perfect. :o)

BioniKat said...

I think everyone should have one of those, regardless of their age.

Sextant said...

Do they sell a motorized version? I live 8 miles from the grocery store.

Anonymous said...

It looks very nice but I thought a bright orange cart would go better with your yellow wellies!

Single and Sane said...

What a great gift! I have a clumsy cart that's hard to work with so I don't use it much. Yours is wonderful!

DJan said...

How neat! I think you will never be a little old lady in the sense you mean. What a great gift, though, and I'll look for you on the streets of Vancouver. :-)

Nicole said...

Great idea! Yours is very stylish too. My one concern is putting your wallet in that front zippered pocket...too easy for someone to steal!

The Bug said...

I love it! I wish I could use it, but I don't live anywhere near any of the places I need to go. :(

CHummelKornell said...

Welcome back, Jo! This is the Jo we all know and love...thanks for the giggles so early in my day. BTW, love the cart, may have to have one.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I want one! Wouldn't do me much good, since I have to go 23 miles to get supplies and groceries. It would work for my garden, though, when I am gathering veggies for supper .........

Leslie: said...

That is one classy cart! I might just go out and get me one, too. Then I will just HAVE to walk to the store instead of driving. :D

Anonymous said...

Funny. funny. My Mother in law has about a 100 of those plastic hair bonnet. Those carts are handy for everything. If I see you on the road I'd have to do more than say "Hi." I'd have to give you a lift. Thanks for the smiles.

ivan said...

I am about to get one of those, but still too ornery.

There is a line out of an old Ronnie Hawkins song, "Yonder comes a cat with a sack on his back."

Well, urban backpacker. :)

Doll Lady said...

I use to have one of those, maybe I should get one again and walk instead of driving to the store which is only 5 blocks away.

Whitney Lee said...

Okay, maybe I'm lazy. If I walked everywhere I would have gotten one of these immediately! It's quite stylish!

Alicia said...

Luckily I have a car and the parking gods love me so I always find parking almost at the front door. I don't know what I would do with one of those little carts but if all the "cool kids" have them then I want one too!

Happy shopping Jo!

PinkPanthress said...

I like them & I am not even 30!
They are very useful!


P.S.: Wishing you a happy new Year!

JeannetteLS said...

I want one for my car. Years ago I used one my mother-in-law had had, loading things from the car into it, and then ROLLING the groceries up the stairs instead of carrying them.

Now that I have seen yours, well, and it comes in PLAID, how can I resist? What an image you created, Jo.

Smalltown RN said...

Ok...old you are not...practical yes. Who ever gave you that knows you well.

I think it's fantastic and I love how you have already thought about the many ways it will come in handy!

Happy New Years my friend!

Paula Slade said...

You have a terrific sense of humor Jo! Those little carts are a back saver. And by the way, you're not "old" - just sensible. Now, I have to get one of those carts for myself. :)

Jennifer D said...

Oh Jo...If I do I most certainly will!

Rob-bear said...

Strange, but we got one of those carts a few months ago. Excellent for shopping at the stores. Also good for getting washing down to the laundry room in our apartment building, and back up.

Being "a woman of a certain age," I assume you are now 40. Congratulations.

Blessings and Bear hugs for 2012.