Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Downton Abbey ... A Dream Sequence?

For the past three seasons, I have been hooked on Downton Abbey.  The characters have become as familiar to me as my own friends, and I find myself caring about what happens to them.  Upstairs and downstairs, they get themselves into such predicaments, week after week.  Will Anna uncover sufficient evidence to get Bates out of jail?  Will Mrs. O'Brien and Thomas sabotage each other?  Will Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes ever admit their fondness for each other?  And what biting bon mot will Lady Grantham come up with next?

Lady Grantham: "You are quite wonderful the way you see room for improvement wherever you look. I never knew such reforming zeal."
Mrs Crawley: "I take that as a compliment."
Lady Grantham: "I must have said it wrong."

So, when one of the characters meets a final and unalterable end, I am inconsolable.  There will be no "dream sequences" such as there were in Dallas, in which the entirety of season eight was revealed to have been a dream.  Once the characters in Downton Abbey are gone, they're gone.

Can I stand to watch another season?  I can hardly wait.

9 comments:

Scoobyloves2004 said...

I was devastated when they decided to "kill off" Matthew. He was one of my favorite characters. Downton is in trouble without him. As sad as it was, I can't wait for next season!!

Leslie: said...

I was shocked beyond belief when Matthew died, but I did see it coming! I wonder how Mary will cope with her loss - he was the only one who seemed to be able to "see" inside her soul to the goodness. I'm afraid her snobby airs will come out in full force to cover up her terrible grief.

PhilipH said...

Maggie Smith was excellent, as always, in this soapy series.
I found it went rapidly downhill and didn't bother with the last two episodes, although my missus thought it was OK-ish.
I thought that "Upstairs, Dowstairs" was much better and engaging than Downton Abbey. But then we all have our own take on these Victorian/Edwardian plays.

Linda Myers said...

The series is next in our Netflix queue.

Cloudia said...

isn't it a gift when art reaches us that much?


ALOHA from Waikiki, JO!
Comfort Spiral
~ > < } } ( ° > <3

DJan said...

I had been forewarned because of learning that the Matthew character had to go, since the actor didn't want to sign up for another three year stint. I will miss him and Lady Sybil very much! But yes, I'm hooked too. :-)

Alicia said...

Another Downton addict here. I hated to see Matthew die at the end. Seems like every time a baby is born at Downton someone dies. I would really like to see Edith meet someone decent. It just doesn't seem fair that she always gets the short end of the stick. Looking forward to the next season!

Carl said...

Wenderina and I are just as hooked on the series and just as sad when we lose characters! Also Can't wait for next batch of new episodes!

June said...

I gave this series a try, but - well, you've heard about art imitating life, my mother was born in 1901 in the UK, at age 13 she had to leave school and was sent 300 miles away to be a tweeny maid in one of the big houses in a village on the south coast. She told us about her life, about being given an alarm clock for her Christmas present, not allowed to leave the house even to post a letter without permission so, not for me.