Sunday, June 2, 2013

Blogger Burnout, Beethoven and The Joy of Life...

I have not blogged for a little while because I have been busy with other things, and I’m not sure there is anyone out there who still reads my boring-little-blog.  But I haven’t forgotten you, and I will be back blogging regularly very soon.  In the meantime, I have a treat for you.  Well, I think it's a treat anyway.

Ever since I was a child, I have always loved music by Beethoven.  I used to sneak out of bed and hide under the dining room table so I could listen to it, whenever my parents played it on the record player.  Beethoven is arguably the  greatest composer who ever lived, and his Ninth and final symphony is universally regarded to be the greatest piece of music ever written.  The choral is taken from a poem written by a poem written by Friedrich Schiller in 1785.

The Ninth Symphony premiered on May 7, 1824 in Vienna.  The performance was conducted by Michael Umlauf, because by that time Beethoven was completely deaf.  He could not hear one note of his extraordinary symphony.  Over the years millions, perhaps billions, of people have listened to Ode to Joy, a beautiful composition that the composer could hear only in his head.

This performance of Ode to Joy is wonderful.  Imagine living in a city where this could happen.  The video is just slightly over five minutes long, and I know folks have no patience for things on the internet that are longer than 45 seconds.  But you’re in for a treat, so pour yourself a cup of tea or coffee – or whatever --- sit back in your chair and relax.  Be sure to watch it to the very end, not the middle, not almost the end, but the very end.  You will get goosebumps and your heart will soar with joy – which is what Beethoven intended.

Enjoy!  I will be back soon.

23 comments:

CHummelKornell said...

Jo, I still read your posts, just haven't had much to say. Don't give up on blogging, it kinda comes in spurts around our lives.

Eddie Bluelights said...

My fav Beethoven Symphony is No 3 The Eroica but I like the Ninth as well and I will now listen to it ~ best wishes ~ Eddie

Meryl Baer said...

Enjoyed the video and keep on blogging whenever you get the feeling.

Rob-bear said...

Well, the Bear is still here! And what a bonus this week!
1. I love classical music.
2. I love the dynamics of a flash mob!

See you soon, I hope.

Blessings and Bear hugs!
Bears Noting, Life in the Urban Forest (poetry).


the walking man said...

I have to agree this was one of the best recordings of the last movement of the 9th that has been done in a few years. I just love how they assemble and the look on the crowds faces especially the young kids.

Stephen said...

Life's too short to do something you don't want to, especially if it's unremunerated. However, I have no worries that you'll be taking a permanent break from blogging---writing is in your nature.

I'm already looking forward to your 2024 blog posts about the magnificent music that will be played at the bicentennial of the Ninth!

DJan said...

I had seen this one before, and I knew what was coming, but I still cried tears of joy (still am) as I watched it. I love the kid who climbed the pole, and I had forgotten how much I love the sound of French horns. Thank you, dear Jo. I'm here, I'll always be here.

Linda Myers said...

I'm still reading. I love your blog.

Jay said...

I come looking for you even when you don't blog because I imagine there must be some mistake with my notification and surely when I personally check you'll have posted something ;o)

Carol E. said...

You're right; it gave me chills. Your blog is delightful, and I read it faithfully.

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

Jo, I love your blog as well as the comments you make on others' blogs, including my own! I also understand the need to take a break. I've been more quiet than usual the past few months because so much is going on with the family -- illnesses, reunions and the like -- and professionally -- working on book proposals. Sometimes life does intervene. But please know that there are many of us who look for and read your posts with great interest and pleasure. And, in the meantime, thanks for the musical video! Wonderful!

ivan said...

Dunno.

Myself, I'm having a fifth. :)

Unknown said...

"A Majority of Two" has been included in the A Sunday Drive for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point even more new visitors in your direction.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2013/06/a-sunday-drive_16.html

Friko said...

Wunderbar!

It’s quite a while since I listened to the whole of Beethoven’s Ninth, but this bit has reminded me of what I’m missing.

Thank you so much.

Aren’t fashmobs fun!

It’s good to meet you.

Linda Myers said...

Loved this flash music. Especially liked the reactions of the children!

BrendaLou said...

wonderful! this was played at our wedding as the resesional 41 years ago. thanks for the memories.

Alicia said...

I'd seen this video before Jo but enjoyed it again. I love how everyone is smiling!

Take a break, but be sure to come back soon :D

Jay said...

Jo, I hope you are having a lovely summer and have great plans for this long weekend. I miss your musings but completely understand your absence as after numerous tries I have failed to keep up a regular blog.

Anyway, I just want to wish you well and I hope to see you back here in a few weeks or months.
( AND I hope the damn students next door have vacated!)

KrippledWarrior said...

hurry back, I miss you

fiftyodd said...

Oh, that was wonderful and uplifting. Thanks, Jo. Welcome back!

Sextant said...

I have yet to see a flash mob that I did not despise. Too cheesy or something. You have provided the exception. This was wonderful thanks for sharing. It was sort of the Bolero-ization of Ode to Joy. Lovely piece of music.

I read someplace that even though Beethoven could not hear the Ninth, he was supremely good at conducting it because he could experience it through visual cues and vibrations. It was speculated by the author that Beethoven actually experienced the music on a much higher plane than us unfortunate folks who could only hear it!

kafaya said...


Wow, what a very interesting content you have there. Every line i read is just like i open a new world. Please post more often,because this is exactly the type of content i want every day. i promise to visit everyday.


Find Meaning in Adversity said...

Hello! I still read your blog more than a decade after you wrote it! What I found most relatable, is how when we are little kids, whatever is 'forbidden' is what we want to do. My parents wouldn't have been able to make me listen to Beethoven! Although I would enjoy it now. Hello from 2023.

Joaquin from Find Meaning in Adversity