Saturday, August 17, 2013

Peaches in a Green Bowl


It seems to have been eons since I last posted here on my blog, and I'm sure the world has gone away from my door by now. But I just had to take some time away from everything and get in touch with my spirit again. The job I have been doing for the last ten years has decimated my creativity, and my painting has become sadly rusty. In any case, here is my first attempt after many, many months, to pick up the brushes and see what I can do. It was fun. My favourite medium is watercolour pencils. They are so versatile, and the colours are wonderful. Using the pencils, you just put the pigment down on the paper and then go into it with a small, wet brush. Et voila! the colours come to life. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed them.  And enjoyed eating the peaches when I was finished the painting.


I also had some fun painting this little Tin Man tea pot. He is also done with watercolour pencils, and I tried to get as close to a "tinny" effect as I could. I can almost hear him speaking:

Wizard of Oz:  "As for you, my galvanized friend, you want a heart. You don't know how lucky you are not to have one. Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable."

Tin Woodsman: "But I still want one."

Wizard of Oz:   "A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved, by others."

Or as a friend of mine said to me today: "Life is short, Jo. Carpe Diem!" That is very true, isn't it?  Expect to see more of my odd little paintings here on my boring little blog.  Life is meant to be enjoyed.

14 comments:

joanne said...

you are not boring and I happen to love your 'odd' little paintings. So much so that now I am goind to indulge in a peach!

Jo said...

JoJo, thank you...! Enjoy your peach. :-)

Linda Myers said...

Those peaches look just like the ones I ate today.

I am terrified of watercolors and all other artistic media. I am considering taking a watercolor class for absolute, absolute beginners, if I can unwind myself out of the fetal position.

Mac n' Janet said...

Welcome back, I really liked the peaches in a bowl painting.

Jay said...

Welcome home. I missed you.

Tom said...

It's nice to be able to paint your peaches and eat them too. I esp. like your tin man tea pot -- quirky and fun!

Janice said...

What a nice surprise today to see you are back blogging and I love your art creations. To Linda, why not try acrylics...much easier to work with than watercolours since you can paint over mistakes. Bonne chance!

Rob-bear said...

Glad to see you got some painting done. Seems like it is an important alternative in your life. I hope you keep having fun with that.

Blessings and Bear hugs!
desert.epiphanies@sasktel.net
Bears Noting
Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)

Carl said...

Love the peaches Jo. Just beautiful.

the walking man said...

I have to go with the tin man can...it has a special glow in it.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for a well written, easy to understand article on this. It can get really confusing when trying to explain it – but you did a great job. Thank you!
Estetik

NovaBlog said...

I get first dibs on buying your paintings (as soon as I get another payday). They are wonderful. How much are you charging for them?

Les

steve said...


الرائد افضل شركة تنظيف بالمدينة المنورة
تقدم خدمات التنظيف الشاملة للمنازل و البيوت و الفلل و الشقق اتصل بنا الان وايضا تقدم خدمات مكافحة الحشرات فهى افضل شركة مكافحة حشرات بالمدينة المنورة

kafaya said...


Wow, what a very interesting content you have there. Every line i read is just like i open a new world. Please post more often,because this is exactly the type of content i want every day. i promise to visit everyday.