Sunday, December 27, 2009

Welcome To Whistler Blackcomb Mountain

In just a few weeks the 2010 Winter Olympics will descend on Vancouver and Whistler Blackcomb. It will be wonderful, and a lot of fun -- especially for those folks fortunate enough to get tickets to any of the events or to the opening and closing ceremonies. For Vancouverites, there will be a certain amount of inconvenience, but for the most part it will be exciting. Whistler Blackcomb will host the alpine, nordic and sliding events for the 2010 Winter Olympics. In case you don't know much about Whistler, here are a few facts -- *y-a-w-n*. Over two million people visit Whistler annually, primarily for alpine skiing and mountain biking at Whistler Blackcomb. Its pedestrian village has won numerous design awards and Whistler has been voted among the top destinations in North America by major ski magazines since the mid-1990s. Whistler was given its unusual name for the whistling calls of the "whistler" marmots, that live on the mountain. Whistler Blackcomb has over 8,100 acres of ski runs. The mountain is 5,280 feet high, there are over 200 trails, three glaciers, 12 alpine bowls, 38 lifts and 3 high speed gondolas all with a combined capacity to lift 65,507 skiers per hour. The highest lift elevation is 7,494 feet, and the longest ski run is seven miles.

I'm not a skier, so for me, the best part of Whistler is the village, and specifically the gorgeous hotels. Here are just a few, in both winter and summer.


Pretty nice, hey? And here is a little video you might enjoy. It's sort of touristy, but it will give you a good idea of Whistler Blackcomb. If you're planning to come to Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Olympics, I hope you have a fabulous time.

15 comments:

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Holy Whistling Marmots! Are you pulling my leg? How do marmots whistle? Is it anything like a wolf-whistle?

Bagman and Butler said...

I'm looking forward to watching it in a warm livingroom curled in front of a roaring television, safe from cold, snow, and whistling marmots!

Russell said...

Whoa...! I watched the video and it is IMPRESSIVE! And I am not easily impressed.

If anyone sees this comment and did not watch the video, watch it! You will be astounded!

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

A fabulous foretaste of what we will get to see in February! Can't wait! You should be on the B.C. tourist board Jo - great advertisement for a spectacular place. I've been there a few times and it was fun recognizing some of the places I've been.

A human kind of human said...

Seems like a wonderful place. I will have to visit it via the TV during the Winter Olympics.

Alissa Grosso said...

Perhaps I'll visit another time, when the place isn't so full of Olympians and such. This time around, I'll be watching the goings on from the comfort of my own home.

TomCat said...

Sounds like a fun place. Your team will likely do well.

Charles Gramlich said...

Ever since I first saw that place I wanted to go there.

Land of shimp said...

It's a truly beautiful area, Jo and I'm sure the world will be very impressed!

By the way, I had no idea that was how Whistler came by its name. Both my husband and son are big ski and snowboarding enthusiasts and I am a lodge enthusiast!

The area is so beautiful that even if you aren't a skier, I'm sure anyone could enjoy that area. Thank you for the video!

Brenda said...

It looks like a really beautiful place. Hope I get to watch some of the olympics.

Tom Bailey said...

I really am looking forward to the olympics make sure to have a giant sign when you are there with your blog address.

The atmosphere of the olympics is amazing!

Enjoy and I wish you the best year yet in the upcoming year.

Kindest regards,
Tom Bailey

susie said...

I visited Whistler one year in the '90s with my husband who was consulting in Vancouver. We drove up to Whistler, stopped to look at all the waterfalls, and I really enjoyed the visit.

Don't think I'm going back anytime soon, flying is becoming just too dangerous.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Wow. Simply gorgeous! I watched it twice and had a little fantasy visit without leaving home. I'd love to see the Whistler Marmots and to ski those mountains. Thanks for sharing all this gloriousness with us, Jo!

Jo said...

LGS, *HEH* I kid you not...! I have never heard a whistling marmot, but I would imagine up there it would be very loud, and echoing. :-)

Bagman and Butler, yes, -- brrr -- I prefer watching it in front of my fireplace and TV too. :-)

Russell, I know...! Isn't the video beautiful? And it's exactly what it looks like too.

Bonnie, are you coming to Vancouver for the Olympics? Gosh, lucky you! I guess I will see them by default. *heh*

Anna, yes, and you will get a great view of Vancouver, which is very beautiful.

Alissa, very wise! A lot of Vancouverites will be heading for the hills (not Whistler...) *heh*

Tom, I will be happy if a Canadian wins just one gold medal. *sigh*

Charles, you and Lana must come to Vancouver, especially in the summer. It's gorgeous.

Alane, yes, I have been to Whistler in both summer and winter, and oddly enough I prefer summer. But it is exquisite.

Brenda, gosh, I hope you get to watch some of the Olympics too. I think it will be fun, but a busy time here...!

Tom, are you coming to Vancouver for the Olympics? I suppose there will be a lot of people here. It will certainly be busy...! And all the best of the New Year to you too. :-)

Susie, yes, it is beautiful up there, isn't it? And yes, flying is becoming a giant bore. Gosh!

Susan, I would love to see one of those marmots. I would imagine they will be doing some whistling in the weeks to come. *heh* I'm glad you enjoyed the video.

Paula Slade said...

How exciting for you to have this practically in your back yard!