Monday, March 12, 2012

The Rites of Spring

The Disintegration of the Persistence of Memory
Salvador Dalí, 1952-54

I have never been able to understand the reason for Daylight Saving Time.  It doesn't make any sense to me.  I would rather have daylight in the morning, and dark in the evening.  When I was in Hawaii, the sun set promptly at 6:00, and the evenings were warm,  dark, and very beautiful.  What purpose does it serve to have the sun shining until later than 10:00 at night?  Isn't night meant for the moon and the stars?  When it's daylight at night -- until almost midnight -- people feel compelled to spend their nights doing daylight things and missing the beauty of the night.  It's not logical.  In the wintertime, when the nights are long and dark, folks can't get outside.  In the summer, when people can sit out side and watch the shooting stars and the moon make its path across the sky, no one can see them because it's still light.  Night time has been banished.  Why?  What on earth for?  What's wrong with night?

I dread Daylight Savings Time for another reason.  The Hominidae Troglodytes Sasquatch 20 year-old kids next door shake off their winter somnolence, open their windows and doors and partay... all day and all night.  There are nine of them, and each of them has at least 30 or 40 friends.  What would summer be without beer -- lots of beer -- loud music. barbeque and marijuana smoke wafting through our windows?  This seems to be a rite of passage brought on by the brightening sunlight.

*sigh*

I'm a morning person.  I love the bright sunshine flooding through my windows early in the morning.  Night is for star gazing, bonfires on the beach, lying on the grass and looking for the Big Dipper and Orion.  Who can enjoy the mysteries of the night, when the sun is still shining until almost midnight?  Bring back the night -- please.

7 comments:

The Bug said...

I'm NOT a morning person - so morning daylight is wasted on me. I love daylight savings time so that I still have some light left when I get home from work - otherwise I just hibernate until morning. Which is fine in the cold winter months - but come spring I want to enjoy my time outside!

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority though. Boy I WISH I were a morning person - I've tried hard to be, but it just doesn't work. Sigh.

DJan said...

I'm a morning person, too. It makes no difference to me if the sun in shining when it's my bedtime in the summer; I go anyway and draw the shades. Your neighbors are bad news. I'm so sorry to hear you have to deal with their partying all summer long... if I lived where you do, I would also prefer winter when they hibernate. -)

PhilipH said...

What is all this clock-changing nonsense about anyway? I just hate having to go around altering our clocks TWICE a bloody year; what a load of old cods-wallop.
EVERY year we get politicians who want to change this rubbish system but NOTHING ever happens. The crap nonsense stays the same and the clocks have to be altered in the Spring and again in the Autumn.
The birds and animals do not have to contend with this stupid man-made rule.
FFS - leave it alone; we do NOT need this crap system.

Leslie: said...

I wish Daylight Savings was the norm as I'm not a morning person! I love to stay up until at least 11pm and in the summer, loll around on my patio watching the birds flit by or go for a walk along the beach and watch the stars come out.

Sextant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heartinsanfrancisco said...

How is it those awful neighbors are still there when it is clearly illegal for them to be? Did the landlord pay somebody off? It's terrible that you are denied the quiet enjoyment of your own premises because of his greed and flouting of the law.

Paula Slade said...

I'm a morning person too and love to get up at the first sign of daybreak.

Sorry to hear you're still dealing with the rowdy neighbors. :(