Sunday, February 19, 2012

Viola Davis


Which of these women is not Viola Davis? Well, you're way ahead of me. You know they're all Viola Davis, and she is not only one of the best actresses in Hollywood, she is also one of the prettiest.  Who knew!  She is my pick for best actress this year, or as it is now called "actress in a leading role".  I have not seen the four other performances by Glenn Close, Meryl Streep, Michelle Williams or Rooney Mara, and to their credit, I'm sure they're all amazing.  Meryl Streep's performances have bordered on caricature recently, but I think that is because lately she has played iconic figures of the 20th century -- Julia Child, Margaret Thatcher.    And I'm sure Michelle Williams is wonderful as Marilyn Monroe, another iconic figure of the 20th century.  But in my opinion, Viola Davis deserves an Academy Award not only for her performance as Aibileen Clark in The Help, but also as Mrs. Miller, the beleaguered and trusting mother whose son was befriended by the Catholic priest in Doubt.  Viola Davis is a chameleon who can change her appearance and in fact her whole persona at will.  That's genius.

I predict, or at least hope, that Viola Davis will win the Oscar for her nomination in the category "actress in a leading role".  In my opinion, she's the best actress, by far.

8 comments:

JeannetteLS said...

Wasn't she also in a short-lived, but critically acclaimed series about racisim in the south? She was "the help" in a southern lawyer's family and it focused on how she changed herself and how she changed the family. I have always loved her face--she is beautiful, I agree.

JeannetteLS said...

"I'll Fly Away." That was the series!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I haven't yet seen the film but I am familiar with Ms. Davis' work, and she is wonderful! I suspect the movie will win a lot of awards, including best actress.

DJan said...

She has the buzz; it's supposedly between her and Meryl. I saw them both and thought Viola was great in the role. And you're right: she also deserves it for "Doubt." I forgot she was passed over for that one.

Scoobyloves2004 said...

I loved her in The Help! I read the book before I saw the movie and I have to say, she played the role of Aibileen perfectly! I believe she is also in Tom Hanks new movie Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close as well. She is an amazing actress!!

Paula Slade said...

Viola Davis is an amazing actress! She was wonderful in THE HELP. I hope she wins!

Linda Myers said...

I recall recently reading that Meryl Streep worked with Viola Davis and then commented, "Give this woman a movie!" Or something like that. Either of them would be good winners.

Donnetta said...

Hi, Josie: I've heard this is really a good, good movie. Sounds like I need to see it. Looking forward to watching the "awards." Love to see the ladies in their finery. D