Saturday, October 6, 2012

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving...


This weekend is Thanksgiving weekend in Canada. It is traditionally held on the second Monday in October, and is meant to be a holiday to give thanks for the end of the harvest season. It corresponds with the English and European Harvest Festivals, and tables are decorated with cornucopias, pumpkins, corn, wheat sheaves, and other harvest bounty. Much like our American friends to the south, we eat a traditional dinner of roast turkey with all the trimmings, similar to Christmas dinner.

However...

My favourite part of Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner has always been Brussels sprouts. Ever since I can remember, I have loved Brussels sprouts. I sometimes eat them for a TV snack. If you were to place a slice of chocolate cake and a bowl of Brussels sprouts before me and ask me to choose, there would be no question. My choice would always be the Brussels sprouts. Am I insane? Well, yes, probably.  Sprinkle a little salt and pepper them, perhaps some butter, et voila! a dish fit for a king ... or me.  Forget about dessert, just give me a second helping of Brussels spouts.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends.

Cheers,

Jo

16 comments:

DJan said...

I too am a lover of brussels sprouts! Happy Thanksgiving to you, Jo. :-)

VioletSky said...

I'm sorry, that is just weird - loving the sprouts!
but Happy Thanksgiving.

Meryl Baer said...

I also love brussel sprouts, but have to admit I would take the chocolate cake over the sprouts.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Jo. And you can keep your brussels sprouts, thank you very much. It is one of very few vegetables I dislike, so if you should come to visit me, I promise you can have all of mine, however you like them.

Em Parkinson said...

I quite like sprouts fried once steamed, with chestnuts but otherwise I'm afraid I'm not a great fan. My poor partner, who loves them too, only gets them at Christmas. I suppose I should be relieved we don't have a thanksgiving here or it would be twice!

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Mac n' Janet said...

I like them too, but my husband hates them so we never have them.

Mac n' Janet said...

I like them too, but my husband hates them so we never have them.

365-daysofgray said...

As a family we don't reall celebrate thanksgiving, however I have just made the family roast Lamb, roast potatoes with mashed carrots and swede, with lashings of gravy, and Yorkshire Puddings!!!.Is that wrong, Yorkshire Puddings with Lamb. Who cares, four clean plates and a sad doggy with no left overs...365...

Sextant said...

I agree on the sprouts. However I haven't quite got to the point of eating them as a TV snack, but desert or sprouts? Give me the sprouts. Same for lima beans.

Try both with a dash of A-1 sauce, just a pinch. Heavenly.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Jo.

I also like sprouts, but the chocolate cake gets my vote too..

KrippledWarrior said...

Yes, sorry I missed it. Happy Thanksgiving

Traffic Pulse India said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!
Web Development Jaipur

PinkPanthress said...

Doh... a belated Happy Thanksgiving to you, dear!
*Sorry for my tardiness)

You wouldn't believe it but my mother made some Brussel Sprouts yesterday(on your Canadian Thanksgiving). :D

Jay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jay said...

Sorry for deleting I should edit before posting I was just a little too quick today what I said more or less was ...

If brussell sprouts make you that happy then who am I to judge? I eat buttter on top on my peanut butter. I'll have your chocolate cake if you don't mind;o)

I had a lovely Thanksgiving, just me and he for the first time since ... whenever - we really can't remember when but certainly it was B.C.E (before children era) and they are in their 30's.

We even lit candles for each other and I made a pie and he did up the bird - our brussel sprouts were quite tough. Rewarmed in the microwave the next day they finally became tender - I found them very odd.

Cheers!

Paula Slade said...

I love Brussel Sprouts too! Unfortunately, I'm the only one in my family who likes them so I don't get to have them often.

Hope you had a lovely holiday Jo!