Friday, January 7, 2011

The Man With The Golden Voice

By now everyone has heard the story of Ted Williams, "the man with the golden voice". Ever since his video went viral on YouTube, he has been on ABC Good Morning America, NBC's Today Show, and he has been reunited with his darling little 90 year-old mother, whom he has not spoken to in 20 years. He has been offered jobs and I understand he has already done a couple of voice-overs and advertisements.

I am a great believer in the concept of transgression and redemption. My favourite author, Somerset Maugham, wrote about human redemption, and many of his books informed my life. My favourite quote is by Maugham: “I sometimes think that the stars never shine more brightly than when reflected in the muddy waters of a wayside ditch.” ... So to that end, I hope Mr. Williams is successful, I really do. But is there anyone else except me who feels somehow that this story is not going to end well?

This fellow has had many chances in his life. In 1988 he was making $60,000 a year. That's pretty good money even in 2011. He made bad choices which caused him to fall on hard times. He has been involved in drugs, alcohol, robberies ... He has nine children, all of whom have tried to help him.

Are some folks just programmed to self-destruct? Is it perhaps a fear of success?  I see something behind this man's eyes that says he does not feel he is worthy of success.  I have a feeling he is going to do something to screw everything up again, and he will disappoint everyone who has helped him, but most of all he will disappoint himself.  I hope not.  Everyone deserves redemption.  Good luck, Mr. Williams.  The only person who can do it is you.

23 comments:

Bruce Coltin said...

I hate to admit that I absolutely agree. He appears to be a man who will always find a way to blow it.

lani said...

he got back up.... let's hope for the best!!!

The Bug said...

I feel the same way - but I'm gonna hope that this is the time that works for him.

Whitney Lee said...

I'm obviously out of the loop-they've not played this on Sesame Street so I've missed the story completely. I will say that the man in the picture on the left looks happier than the one on the right. Perhaps it's easier to smile when no one expects anything of you. That way there's no one to disappoint.

Carol E. said...

I'm skeptical, too, but perhaps with the eyes of the world on him, he will decide to stay on the straight and narrow.

DJan said...

I just don't know, but let's hope for the best outcome. But, as they say, easy come easy go. :-)

Alicia said...

With age comes wisdom...and at my age don't I know it! Maybe now he's ready to accept all those that love and believe in him and want him to suceed. I hope so.

Kass said...

I saw this briefly on some news show. I'm glad to have more background. Some people have boot straps, but no way of pulling themselves up by them. I hope he does well this time.

JeannetteLS said...

I feel as you do, Jo... The meteoric kick into the limelight and sudden success for someone who has been so consistently resistant to recovery? I hope that he can use this opportunity well, though, as others have said on your blog.

Owen said...

Like you said, it's up to him now. If this is a case of being given a chance to start over, I don't know what would be.

One story I saw showed several of his mug shots from various arrests... hopefully he will be able to resist the temptations that will come with money coming in again, and stay out of trouble.

When you look and the long and tragic line of vastly talented people who have self destructed over the years due to inner demons they just couldn't seem to beat, you have to wonder whether he will be able to beat the past's haunting claws, and stay clean...

I hope so... good luck Ted !

Judi said...

Sudden celebrity can be difficult for even the most adjusted among us. Let's hope for the best for Williams and others who are homeless with talents that may be lost forever.

Cloudia said...

Yes, a compelling story, Jo




Aloha from Hawaii

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


<°)}}><

Susan said...

It does make you wonder, Jo. Instant success is hard on everyone - how much harder on someone with such a history?
But the cool thing about humans is they can really surprise you. I hope he does.

The Panorama said...

Love this post! I am a bit more cynical and think it takes an exceptional person to redeem him/herself in todays worlds. Sommerset Maugham is also one of my favorite authors.

I hope Ted Williams make it but I fear he will screw it up again.

budh.aaah said...

You are right Jo (as you are most times :) we do have the power in our hands to some extent..and the rest is in the hands of destiny

Paula Slade said...

Many health professionals cite that in order for someone to recover from addictions they need to hit rock bottom. Perhaps Williams had finally reached that point, and I certainly wish him well.

nomore said...

I'v already heard it about his both bright and seamy side of life...news P...TV...etc.. Bravo the World Star !!

Nancy said...

I have a brother that has that same look, and I have to admit - after a lifetime of trying to help him, I have the same worry for Mr. Williams as you do.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I would rather root for Mr. Williams than for Michael Vick, who was congratulated by President Obama on being given a second chance after his convictions for severe and incredibly sick animal abuse. I do not believe that someone like that deserves anything good at all.

Mia said...

Not everybody. The only Ted Williams I know had his head frozen.

cellbooster said...

indeed, the control is his. matter of choice, again and again








----------------------------
romantic quotes

Unknown said...

You go ted god speed

Unknown said...

You go ted god speed