Thursday, January 22, 2009

La Lunatic

In three more days there will be a new Moon and on February 8th there will be a full Moon. The full Moon always inspires all sorts of legends, and of course there is the anecdotal evidence of people behaving strangely during a full Moon. Apparently more babies are born during a full Moon, the hospitals and police departments are suddenly busier. It could all just be an urban legend, of course, but the Moon does have an effect on everything that contains water, and the human body is 95% water. Even bones are 22% water. So it would stand to reason that the Moon would affect us. Right?

Well, did you know that you can now purchase an acre of land on the Moon for $19.99? Yes, you can, and the fellow who is selling the lunar real estate is raking in $$millions from his lunatics clients. He owns a company called Lunar Embassy, and he gets calls every day from folks wanting to buy property on the Moon. And he accepts Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Diner's Club or Discover. He also accepts cash in various earthly and intergalactic currencies including Euros and dollars.

In 1967, the United Nations signed the Outer Space Treaty, which forbids any government from claiming the Moon. The treaty failed to mention anything about private individuals or corporations, so a second treaty forbidding anyone from claiming ownership of extraterrestrial real estate was proposed. Only a handful of nations signed this treaty. This left a loophole in international law. In 1980, Dennis Hope sent letters to the United Nations, the United States government and the government of the former Soviet Union, informing them that he was officially claiming ownership of all planetary and lunar surfaces in our solar system. He gave them the opportunity to respond if they had objections, but no one replied to him.

Hope, who calls himself "The Head Cheese," trademarked the term "Lunar Embassy" with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He has sold property on the Moon to 2.5 million people in 80 countries, and more than 1300 corporations.

You better hurry, they're going fast. He guarantees a view of the earth.

23 comments:

divineGirl said...

awesome! and yeah very true...
The full Moon always inspires all sorts of legends, and of course there is the anecdotal evidence of people behaving strangely during a full Moon.

Firefly the Travel Guy said...

I was wondering where the moon goes when it disappears over here. That means than when its new moon over here, the whole moon is visiting you in Vancouver. LOL.
It also means that our weirdos are all holed up for the moment.

introspection said...

There are even jokes about people behaving funny and overly excited on a full moon light.
Not to mention the waves in the ocean. Tides are rough and higher on the nights of full moon, than on regular nights.

Is there a meltdown in reality prices for property on the moon?

Any more anecdotes....?

Cedar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Author said...

Let me tell you full moon or no moon night inspires me to sleep

the walking man said...

When I lived in Berzerkly CA circa 1978 there was an enterprising fellow selling acreage on the moon for a dollar. Pay your buck and get a three color certificate...Inflation has certainly taken hold.

KathyB. said...

O.K. As I see it, even though nations have spent bazillions of dollars on space exploration, a smart guy with extra time and moxy has officially claimed the moon and some other planets. It is either lunacy ( derived from 'luna', meaning moon)or sheer brilliance!So he has not only made money selling lunar real estate, he might actually own a big , big piece of the future!

Patsy said...

Jo- this reminds me that people can actually get stars named after them. I almost paid to get a star named after my friend's daughter but decided not to when I learned that these names are not recognized by NASA or any other governmental agency. They simply take your money and have your name printed in a book with a picture or map of your star.
~Lorna

Russell said...

Years ago I worked for a law firm that specialized in insurance. Any time something not thought of before came in as a claim (such as metal debris from falling space craft or sea serpent attacking boat!)that incident was added to a policy.

So today insurance policies are pages and pages and pages long because they exclude any and every possible - and impossible - situation that could occur!

For some reason I was reminded of that when I read about the loophole you mentioned! However, I hope this guy makes millions! Heh! Well, okay, I hope he makes a little bit of money for being sort of ingenious....!

Anonymous said...

hi! Very good pages!!:)
I've just created a new blog.
I could advertise for free your blog trough a link that I can put as a post in my blog. If you want it tell me.

"Ilinkyoursite"

PhilipH said...

Just found your blog, and excellent stuff it is too!

Acreage purchase of moon plots. I think this is a great investment and I have bought about 250 hectares, near the sea of tranquility. I also own about 75 stars, and have the documentation to prove it. Sometimes I find it difficult to actually locate each of my stars, especially on cloudy nights. I intend to re-sell my moon real estate and some, but not all, of my stars. It depends on how the market goes over the next few years. Safer than using banks and so forth, don't you think.

Was it Noel Coward who sang: "Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun"? Well, he could have also made a song about lunatics and star-crossed nutcases who go in for all these crazy purchases. I say "good luck" to the sellers of these bits of paper!

Keep up the good writing!

Tylo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tylo said...

Hold on... this guy owns the galaxy??! No way! haha
I want a moon lot :)

jadecarmella said...

Ah, I love a full moon, but I'll passon moon real-estate!

Laura Doyle said...

Wow! I love collecting odd little bits and pieces of weird trivia, such as your Lunar Embassy story. Thanks for sharing. : )

Anonymous said...

Josie, Jan. 25th there's a new moon and it's a Solar Eclipse -- the most powerful solar eclipse of 2009 that will last about 3 hours -- so we have the effects of this solar eclipse to look forward to for the next three years. It's a whole New Beginning! ~Liz

Gintoki said...

I never believed that moon can affect our sleep. One night I couldn't fall asleep and I looked outside the window, just to see that there was Full Moon. Its strange how gravity of Moon affects people on different ways.

budh.aaah said...

Hi Jo,
I find your blog interesting ( including the 6 random things about you ( I've been having the same thing for breakfast since the past 12 years and its hugely comforting to know I am not alone in this )you've a great sense of humour.

Christina! said...

Won't we all be really po-ed when in 30 years those czy people who bought lots on the moon get to move there?

I know I will be.

WindyDesign of Zazzle said...

Wow. "Dennis Hope sent letters to the United Nations, the United States government and the government of the former Soviet Union, informing them that he was officially claiming ownership of all planetary and lunar surfaces in our solar system."

ALL the surfaces? Of EVERY planet? Talk about greed, lol. Seriously, I wonder who he will be leaving these "properties" to in his will. And I guess that if he is a US citizen, the USA will soon own half of "all planetary and lunar surfaces in our solar system". This will occur when the IRS rakes in half of Hope's assets in the form of the lovely DEATH TAX.

Scoobyloves2004 said...

A very interesting topic today! The full moon does seem to bring out the crazies!

As far as selling people a spot on the moon...I tend to think people like that should be ashamed of themselves. Sure he found a way through a loophole, but does he need to rip people off? Come on now, like any of those people will ever really see their peice of the moon. Its a good idea, I guess, but I could think of a million other ways to spend my money than buying false hope.

Mary Ellen said...

Buy an acre of land on the moon? What kind of property taxes are we talking about? ;-)

With my luck, I'd end up buying swamp land.

Hilary said...

Who knew that lunacy could make you rich..