Sunday, January 4, 2009

We All Live In A Yellow Submarine

The “Ben Franklin” was once the largest non-military submersible in the world and it is now at the Vancouver Maritime Museum. In 1969 the “Ben Franklin” made a 30-day dive that made NASA history. The “Ben Franklin” was used as a laboratory to see how people respond to a prolonged voyage in an enclosed capsule, including sleep quality and patterns, sense of humor and behavioral shifts, physical reflexes, and the effects of a long-term routine on the crew. The lessons learned from that mission are used today in NASA’s plans to send people into deep space.

The “Ben Franklin” was purchased by a Vancouver businessman for private use, but it sat disassembled and slowly rusting, for 30 years. He donated the submersible to the Vancouver Maritime Museum. The Museum's director James Delgado, an American underwater archaeologist, realized the importance of restoring the “Ben Franklin”. He did this with the help of Vancouver businesses and volunteers. James Delgado contacted the former crewmembers of the “Ben Franklin”, and also the company who originally built the submersible. In 2002 The Vancouver Maritime Museum hosted a reunion of the original crew of the “Ben Franklin”.

The submersible is now part of the exhibit at the Museum. The interior of the sub is not open to the public yet. However, if you click on this link, you can take a virtual tour of the sub. And if you live in Vancouver, check out the Vancouver Maritime Museum. It’s full of wonderful treasures.

16 comments:

Carl said...

Neat Post! Thanks Jo.

Carl

Tess Kincaid said...

Nice tour! Now, where did I put my Beatles album...

Deb said...

I feel as if I was actually there, Jo! Thanks for the tour...and now I'm singing Yellow Submarine in my head and probably will wake at 3am with it still bouncing around my emptiness between my ears!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Thanks. I have never heard of this submarine. Very interesting.

Smalltown RN said...

I have been to the Maritime Museum many times..but i had no idea that this existed in Vancouver....wow...that's amazing and how fortunate for us to have such an opportunity to see and possibly explore the inside of vessel...and experience first hand...

You are a wealth of information ....thank you...

Mary Ellen said...

Wow, that was really cool! I loved the virtual tour, except I kept spinning around and getting sea sick. I'd never last five minutes in a submarine.

I did tour a WWII submarine at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. Until you've been inside one of those things, you can't imagine how tight the quarters are. It made me realize a whole new respect for our Navy men and women.

Thanks...and thanks for the Beatles tune! ;-)

Cedar said...

Josie, ?Get out your YAKS it is snowing in Seattle AGAIN and it is probably heading your way!

KathyB. said...

Like Deb, I now have the song stuck in my head for awhile. I think I would get claustrophobic , And the escape hatch seems kind of little for reassurance, but the Ben Franklin is a wonder!

the walking man said...

...And on the other side of the continent is the New Bedford (MA)Whaling Museum...been to one now I think I have to go to the other to get the complete picture.

Firefly the Travel Guy said...

We all live in a yellow submarine, yellow submarine, yellow submarine... Oh darn it. Its going to take me days to get this song out of my head.
I really enjoy museums and its great to learn about these kind of places from all over the globe.

Jo said...

Carl, you're welcome. :-)

Willow, cute hey?

Deb, it has been going through my head for two days. *heh*

LGS, this submarine has a very interesting history.

Mary Anne, there are all sorts of treasures at the Maritime Museum!

Mary Ellen, yes, I have been in a submarine too, and they are very confined, aren't they?

Cedar, just when you think it can't get any worse, it does! Argh!

KathyB, yes, it is a very interesting little submarine, with an interesting history.

Mark, I would love to see the Whaling Museum. It's very famous!

Firefly, you have shown us LOTS of interesting museums on your web. I enjoy them all.

The Pink Cowboy said...

Interesting post about submarines. Yellow Submarine is one of my top sing-along songs of all time.

Full Speed Ahead, Mr. Parker, Full Speed Ahead!!!

Jo said...

Pink Cowboy, *heh*. Yes, I have played the video over several times. I love it too!

Anonymous said...

Onedumbworld.blogspot.com

Concord Carpenter said...

Great post

nomore said...

I reminded the ole song....right now......"yellow~~ submarine~~~~"