We had a meeting at work yesterday, and it was the usual yada, yada, yada. We have a few problems that need to be addressed, but for the moment they are being solved with band-aid solutions. One person suggested fluorescent Post-it notes, someone else suggested white-out, I don't remember what some of the other suggestions were. We will try them and they will work for a while. It's just the usual growing pains, of course, but trial and error... However, at one point in the meeting I glanced across the boardroom table at one of my co-workers, and she was sound asleep. She was sitting up straight, her hands folded in front of her on the table -- asleep. It was all I could do to keep from laughing.
Today she said to me, "Did you happen to notice that I nodded off during the meeting yesterday?"
"Yes, it did not escape me entirely..."
Today I found ten excuses folks can use if they get caught sleeping at work:
1. "They told me at the blood bank this might happen."
2. "This is just a 15 minute power-nap like they raved about in the last time management course you sent me to."
3. "Whew! Guess I left the top off the liquid paper."
4. "I wasn't sleeping! I was meditating on the mission statement and envisioning a new paradigm!"
5. "This is one of the seven habits of highly effective people!"
6. "I was testing the keyboard for drool resistance."
7. "Actually I'm doing a "Stress Level Elimination Exercise Plan" (SLEEP). I learned it at the last mandatory seminar you made me attend."
8. "The coffee machine is broken."
9. "I was doing a highly specific Yoga exercise to relieve work related stress."
10. "Darn! Why did you interrupt me? I had almost figured out a solution to our biggest problem."
Number 4 is my favorite. Now it's late, and I'm off to get some sleep.